Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have a lot of scientific breakthroughs and new techniques emerged in such a short duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to decrease or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and painless way to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser go to my blog vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by fancy advertisements about a specific laser center. Choose the doctor, not the laser center. Discover who will actually do your treatment, then ask about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Pick a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor does not know can injure you.
4. Request for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. Discover another one if your doctor will not inform you. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as good as a discount parachute.
Expect to see really well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting till the brand-new lenses are offered. Ask your medical professional about page them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the eyesight of millions of individuals around the world.